Encouraging manageable lifestyle changes for health and happiness, through research and personal experience.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Shaking Things Up

The lab I work in, the Exercise and Sport Nutrition lab, does a lot of research dealing with exercise and supplementation for weight loss, health improvements, and also athletic performance. For the majority of our studies, we encourage our participants to consume a high protein diet rather than a high carbohydrate diet. Not Atkins-style, just 45% calories from Protein, 30% from Carbohydrates and 25% from Fat. I try to follow this diet myself, and it doesn't take long before I become bored chicken breasts and beans. You soon realize, on a higher protein diet, that it is convenient to get some of your protein source from supplements and shakes.

While there are higher protein (and not as tasty) shakes out there that you might be more interested in if you are doing heavy weight lifting and muscle building, I have found a shake mix that I ABSOLUTELY look forward to having every day. It is called Vi-Shape by Visalus Sciences. (You can click the link to see the nutritional information). Not only does it have a decent amount of protein (especially if you mix it with milk) but it also contains a lot of vitamins and minerals. You may have heard of the Body by Vi challenge, where you use a shake as a meal replacement each day as part of a weight loss protocol. I personally like to use the same shakes as an afternoon snack, or after a workout. They are great whatever your goals are!

There is only one flavor of the mix, Sweet Cream, and it tastes like cake batter! Plus, there are tons of great recipes out there so you never have to drink the same shake twice! I like mixing in frozen fruit and/or sugar free chocolate pudding mix, yum! I always use skim milk to add more protein, but you could use water or soy milk. Check out a large list of possible recipes!
AND I treated myself to my new favorite item: The Magic Bullet. I bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $40 (they were selling it for $10 off) PLUS a $10 mail-in rebate. Not a bad deal in the end. So far I have only used it for my Vi Shakes, but there are lots of great recipes for making salsas, guacamole, anything you want to blend or puree, and even frozen beverages!

I am not a consultant for Visalus, nor do I intend to become one. I purchase my shake mix through a friend (and got a discount for signing up for an auto-monthly ship that I can cancel at any time, even after one shipment). On the autoship it is $49 for a month supply. If you are local and want a taste I'd be happy to whip one up for you or give you a little bag of powder! If you think you might want to try it out, you can order your own bag here (and click "Join the Challenge)! If I refer 3 people, I get a month supply free... and you can too if you do the same!




Have a HEALTHY day!

~Fit Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers